Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Training etc...

Hello,
So sorry I am so far behind on updating you all on our training from April 23rd. So much has happened since then! Wow! What a crazy couple of weeks. Thank God we had the energy to make it....and it all turned out very well. I can't believe I was so stressed about it. :)

First of all, the training went great. We really enjoyed it and felt at peace with our decisions thus
far. We learned alot about open adoption and even talked more with the social worker, other adoptive parents, and even a birthmom about the entire process and also about multiracial adoptions.

As Jerry stated, we have decided on an open adoption plan. It is just that...open... for us to decide the level of openess when we meet the birthmom. We have learned that most adoption agencies and birthmoms prefer open adoptions mainly because they just want open communication with us. That is a good thing! The more open we can be the more comfortable the birth mom will be with her baby being raised by us. We hope and pray that we will be comfortable in that situation when it arises. We are truly looking forward to that meeting!

I would say that Jerry and I have learned a ton about adoption going through this all and would love to answer any questions you have about the process. Adoption has changed so much in the last 2o years. One thing we have learned is that through open adoption the birthmom, child, and adoptive parents cope much better in the years to come. There are answers to those questions such as "Where did I come from?" "What was my mom like." With those questions/answers the child can feel more at peace with being adopted and we will be able to comfort that instead of not knowing. The birthmom can also feel more comfortable with her decision and have closure knowing that her child is safe and thriving. There are some great books out there that are very helpful as well.

All that to say..........it has been a great learning experience and we know we have a ton to learn yet. Now I am feeling much more comfortable looking for baby stuff and setting up the nursery. We get to register for baby stuff. I can't believe it is really happening. It has been 34 years in the making! I am gonna be a mom soon........and Jerry is gonna be a dad. Wow! God is good and He is faithful.

thanks for all your prayers and text messages re: our home study. We love all of you very much and are so blessed everyday.
To all you Moms out there..........Happy Mother's Day. Mom, I love you and pray every day that I will be an amazing mom just like you. You are my friend, my constant support and I treasure you more every day! Mom Snider- you are the best mother in law and I admire your strength and character and I love you very much.

love,
Jenny

1 comment:

  1. I love you very much, too, and am sooooo proud to call you my daughter-in-law and my friend (except when we are playing Pounce--then all bets are off!)

    ReplyDelete